- Conduct a patient interview so as to identify any significant age-, sex-, context-specific risk factors for health conditions, including exercise, diet, substance use, immunizations, falls.
- Conduct an age-, sex-, and context-specific evidence-informed physical exam
- Be familiar with available screening tests, including Pap smears, mammography, colorectal cancer screening, bone mineral density, diabetes screening and hyperlipidemia screening, and understand how to manage abnormal results
- Counsel patients on relevant health promotion/disease prevention strategies, including immunizations, exercise, diet, calcium/vitamin D supplementation, smoking cessation.
- Understand the current recommendations by the Canadian Task Force for screening for Prostate Cancer in Canada and also understand the controversies that exist in these recommendations in order to be able to discuss a screening strategy with a patient
Adult Health Checkup
Ridley J, Ischayek A, Dubey V, Iglar K. Adult health checkup: Update on the Preventive Care Checklist Form©. Canadian Family Physician. 2016;62(4):307-313.
n.a. - Canadian Task Force Preventive Health Care Website
Canadian Task Force guidelines. Available at http://canadiantaskforce.ca/
Ontario Cervical Screening Guidelines Summary
Cancer Care Ontario. Ontario Cervical Screening Guidelines Summary. Revised October 2016.
Ontario Colorectal Screening
Cancer Care Ontario. Screening for Colorectal Cancer.
Screening and Prevention emodule
Law M, Mardimae A, Moaveni A et al. Screening and Prevention: Family and Community Medicine Clerkship Core Curriculum Module. University of Toronto.
Recommendations on screening for breast cancer in women 40-74 years of age who are not at increased risk for breast cancer
Klarenbach S, Sims-Jones N, Lewin G, et al. Recommendations on screening for breast cancer in women 40-74 years of age who are not at increased risk for breast cancer. CMAJ 2018;190:E1441-51
Recommendations on screening for prostate cancer with the prostate-specific antigen test
Appendix to Bell N, Gorber SC, Shane A, et al. Recommendations on screening for prostate cancer with the prostate-specific antigen test. CMAJ. 2014; 186(16), 1225-1234. Copyright © 2014 Canadian Medical Association or its licensors.
Better decision making in preventive health screening
Bell NR, Grad R, Dickinson JA, et al. Better decision making in preventive health screening. Can. Fam. Physician. 2017; 63(7) 521-524;
Primary care of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities
Sullivan WF, Diepstra H, Heng J, Ally S, Bradley E, Casson I, et al. Primary care of adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. 2018 Canadian consensus guidelines. Can Fam Physician 2018;64:254-79.