- Recognize the signs and symptoms of an acute allergic reaction
- List the causes and signs of Stevens Johnson’s Syndrome
- Differentiate and explain an anaphylactic reaction from an allergic reaction
- Differentiate the symptoms of an intolerance versus an allergy
- Propose the initial management of an acute anaphylactic reaction
- List the basic medications used to treat a simple allergic reaction
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of an environmental or seasonal allergy
- Counsel a patient on the non-pharmacological strategies for management of allergies
- List the potential complications of environmental/seasonal allergies
Iftikhar F, Sethi M. Allergy Anaphylaxis One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2013. Available at: http://dfcmopen.com. Attribution CC BY-NC-ND.
Ow E, Law M, Butt, U. Allergic Rhinitis One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2013. Available at: http://dfcmopen.com. Attribution CC BY-SA.
Tupper J, Visser S. Anaphylaxis: A review and update. Can Fam Physician. 2010;56(10):1009-1011. doi: 56/10/1009 [pii].
Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN)
From the Merck Manual Professional Version (Known as the Merck Manual in the US and Canada and the MSD Manual in the rest of the world), edited by Robert Porter. Copyright 2013 by Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of Merck & Co, Inc, Kenilworth, NJ. Available at http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional. Accessed July 19, 2016.
What is Food Intolerance
What is Food Intolerance. Allergy UK website. http://www.allergyuk.org/food-intolerance/what-is-food-intolerance. Updated April 2016