- Conduct a patient centered interview
- To elicit the common symptoms associated with anxiety (as per the most current DSM criteria e.g., tenseness, fatigued, reduced concentration, irritability)
- To elicit the contextual and other factors contributing to the anxiety symptoms and probe for/describe impact of anxiety on patient’s function.
- To differentiate between situational anxiety and anxiety disorders e.g. GAD, OCD, phobias, PTSD
- To identify other conditions that can present with anxiety, co-morbid or more serious conditions, e.g. substance abuse, dementia, delirium, hyperthyroidism, arrhythmias personality disorders
- Identify high risk groups for anxiety disorder e.g. post-trauma, bereavement, malignancy or other serious illness diagnosis (in self or family member), dysfunctional families (e.g. abuse, separation), family history
- Propose non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic management options for patients with anxiety, including drug classes, common side effects and timeline for efficacy (doses and exact drug names not necessary)
- Identify locally available resources that can provide support or help with ongoing management of this chronic condition.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Locke AB, Kirst N, Shultz CG. Diagnosis and management of generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2015;91(9):617-624. doi: d11959 [pii].
Pathogenesis of Anxiety Disorders
The Calgary Guide to Understanding Disease. Anxiety Disorders: Pathogenesis of Anxiety. Published Oct 28, 2013. Available at: http://calgaryguide.ucalgary.ca/
Quick Reference Psychiatric Medications 2016
Preston J. Psy.D and P.A. Distributors. Quick Reference to Psychiatric Medications®. 2015. Available at: http://psyd-fx.com/
Optimizing Care to Improve Outcomes
Stein MB, Craske MG. Treating Anxiety in 2017Optimizing Care to Improve Outcomes. JAMA.2017;318(3):235–236. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.6996
Youth Mental Health Anxiety and Depression
Centre for Effective Practice. Youth Mental Health: Anxiety and Depression. Published June 2017. Available at https://www.thewellhealth.ca/YMH