- Conduct a patient centered interview
- To elicit the common symptoms associated with anxiety (as per the most current DSM criteria e.g., tenseness, fatigued, reduced concentration, irritability)
- To elicit the contextual and other factors contributing to the anxiety symptoms and probe for/describe impact of anxiety on patient’s function.
- To differentiate between situational anxiety and anxiety disorders e.g. GAD, OCD, phobias, PTSD
- To identify other conditions that can present with anxiety, co-morbid or more serious conditions, e.g. substance abuse, dementia, delirium, hyperthyroidism, arrhythmias personality disorders
- Identify high risk groups for anxiety disorder e.g. post-trauma, bereavement, malignancy or other serious illness diagnosis (in self or family member), dysfunctional families (e.g. abuse, separation), family history
- Propose non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic management options for patients with anxiety, including drug classes, common side effects and timeline for efficacy (doses and exact drug names not necessary)
- Identify locally available resources that can provide support or help with ongoing management of this chronic condition.
Anxiety One Pager.pdf
‘Tam M, Creek K. Anxiety One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2013. Avaialble at: hyyps://dfcmopen.com. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Locke AB, Kirst N, Shultz CG. Diagnosis and management of generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2015;91(9):617-624. doi: d11959 [pii].
Pathogenesis of Anxiety Disorders
The Calgary Guide to Understanding Disease. Anxiety Disorders: Pathogenesis of Anxiety. Published Oct 28, 2013. Available at: http://calgaryguide.ucalgary.ca/
Youth Mental Health Anxiety and Depression
Centre for Effective Practice. Youth Mental Health: Anxiety and Depression. Published June 2017.
Optimizing Care to Improve Outcomes
Stein MB, Craske MG. Treating Anxiety in 2017Optimizing Care to Improve Outcomes. JAMA.2017;318(3):235–236. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.6996