- Differentiate between viral and bacterial causes of sore throat and initiate an evidence-based investigation and management plan for pharyngitis.
- Differentiate between viral and bacterial causes of sinusitis and initiate an evidence-based investigation and management plan.
- List common causes of otitis media and initiate an approach to management.
- Differentiate between common infectious causes of cough including bronchitis, pneumonia and viral upper respiratory tract infection.
- Be able to interpret a urinalysis in the context of a patient presenting with urinary tract symptoms and be able to differentiate between uncomplicated and complicated UTIs.
- List the first-line antibiotics used in each of the common infections listed and potential side effects
Common Infections Core Curriculum Module Summary
Mardimae A, Moaveni A, Young S. Common Infections Core Curriculum Module Summary. University of Toronto. Family and Community Medicine. Revised May 2017.
Canadian guidelines for acute bacterial rhinosinusitis: Clinical summar
Kaplan A. Canadian guidelines for acute bacterial rhinosinusitis: Clinical summary. Canadian Family Physician. 2014;60(3):227-234.
Common Infections emodule
Law M, Mardimae A, Moaveni A et al. Common Infections: Family and Community Medicine Clerkship Core Curriculum Module. University of Toronto. Available at http://emodules.med.utoronto.ca/FM/common_infection/story.html