- Identify patients at elevated risk for CAD and calculate their 10-year cardiovascular risk using the Framingham Risk Score.
- Propose a patient-centered initial management plan for primary prevention of CAD.
- Identify which patients’ required further investigation to confirm a diagnosis of CAD.
- Describe an early post-ischemic event management plan including lifestyle changes, medications, psychosocial support, cardiac rehabilitation, etc.
- Propose a surveillance and management plan for secondary prevention of cardiovascular events in patients with CAD.
Ischemic Heart Disease Management Clinical Card
Khattab Y, Keegan DA. Ischemic Heart Disease Management. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2015. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Payne RA. Cardiovascular risk. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2012;74(3):396-410. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2012.04219.x.
Diagnosis of Acute Coronary Syndrome
Achar SA, Kundu S, Norcross WA. Diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72(1):119-126.
Canadian Cardiovascular Society. Framingham Risk Score (FRS): Estimation of 10-year Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risk. Available at: http://www.ccs.ca/en/
Secondary Prevention of Coron
Hall SL, Lorenc T. Secondary prevention of coronary artery disease. Am Fam Physician. 2010;81(3):289-296.