- To be able to screen for and diagnose depression including
- Using current criteria and other diagnostic and functional assessment tools
- Mental status exam, including assessment of suicide/homicidal risk, and take appropriate action where necessary.
- Identify high risk factors for depression and suicide.
- Describe variant presentations of depressed patients.
- Propose a differential diagnosis for patients with depressed mood to rule out important secondary causes and an initial plan for investigation & management.
- Describe non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic approaches to management, including risks, benefits and limitations of the method(s) used.
- Mechanism of action
- Medication classes & interactions
- Various forms of outpatient therapy
- Resources available in community
- Effect of/on family & social supports
Depression Clinical Card
Steed RC, Haslam RS, Keegan DA. Depression. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2009. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Depression One-Page Primer
Levenstadt J, Watson WJ. Depression One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2014. Available at https://dfcmopen.com. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND
A Primary Care Focus on the Treatment of Patients with Major Depressive Disorder
Weihs K, Wert JM. A Primary Care Focus on the Treatment of Patients With Major Depressive Disorder. The American journal of the medical sciences. 2011;342(4):324-330. doi:10.1097/MAJ.0b013e318210ff56.
Quick Reference Psychiatric Medications 2016
Preston J. Psy.D and P.A. Distributors. Quick Reference to Psychiatric Medications®. 2015. Available at: http://psyd-fx.com/
CEP Guide for Primary Care Management of Mental Health and Addictions
Centre for Effective Practice in collaboration with Ontario College of Family Physicians and Nurse Practitioners’ Association of Ontario. Keeping your Patients Safe: A Guide to Primary Care Management of Mental Health and Addictions-related Risks and Functional Impairments. February 2017
Youth Mental Health Anxiety and Depression
Centre for Effective Practice. Youth Mental Health: Anxiety and Depression. Published June 2017.