Given a patient presenting with diarrhea:
- Perform a patient-centered interview and focused physical exam, list and interpret clinical findings
- Propose a relevant differential diagnosis for acute or chronic diarrhea that includes common causes and less common but important causes of diarrhea
- Propose non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic management of diarrhea
- List the various medication classes used to treat diarrhea and appropriate use depending on presentation
- Propose an initial workup for a patient with diarrhea as required
Burles K, Vaughan SD, Keegan DA. Gastroenteritis. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2019. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Acute Diarrhea in Adults
Barr W, Smith A. <em>Acute diarrhea.</em> Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(3):180-189. doi: d11255 [pii].
Evaluation of Chronic Diarrhea
Juckett G, Trivedi R. <em>Evaluation of chronic diarrhea.</em> Am Fam Physician. 2011;84(10):1119-1126. doi: d10024 [pii].