- Perform a patient-centered history and focused physical exam for a patient presenting with dizziness to help to:
- distinguish true vertigo from other types of dizziness
- assess for serious causes of dizziness.
- Propose a differential diagnosis for central and peripheral causes of vertigo
- Identify patients with Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo and demonstrate the Epley maneuver for these patients.
Dizziness Clinical Card
Munro JS, Keegan DA. Dizziness. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2010. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Dizziness Vertigo One-Page Primer
Mitchell Z, Ilk L. Dizziness Vertigo One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2014. Available at: https://dfcmopen.com. Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND
Dizziness - A Diagnostic Approach
Post RE, Dickerson LM. Dizziness: A diagnostic approach. Am Fam Physician. 2010;82(4):361-8, 369. doi: d8421 [pii].
Initial Evaluation of Vertigo
Labuguen RH. Initial evaluation of vertigo. Am Fam Physician. 2006;73(2):244-251.