- Be able to review Goals of Care and an overall approach to the older patient
- Assess the function (ADLs and IADLs), falls risk, frailty and multi-morbidity in older patients
- Understand medication and supplement safety in the older patient and also better prescribing methods
- Identify community resources and other interventions to address concerns in these areas
- Identify the appropriate vaccinations for the older patient
Senior Snapshot Clinical Card
Ram R, Wright B, Keegan DA. Senior Snapshot. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2013. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
The Geriatric Assessment
Elsawy B, Higgins KE. The geriatric assessment. Am Fam Physician. 2011;83(1):48-56.
Patient Centered Assessment Method
Patient Centred Assessment Method (PCAM). Vs2.0. February 2015. Copyright Maxwell, Hibberd, Pratt, Peek and Baird 2013. Available at: http://www.pcamonline.org/
Lawton Brody scale of IADLs
M. Powell Lawton and Elaine M. Brody. Assessment of Older People: Self-Maintaining and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living. The Gerontologist (1969) 9 (3 Part 1): 179-186. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Gerontological Society of America
Feightner J and Feldman S. BPSD Problem-solving framework and collaborative care approach (U.R.A.F.). In Rivard MF. Puxty J. eds. Introduction to Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD): A Handbook for Family Physicians. 2nd ed. 2009 pp 1-17. Ontario College of Family Physicians.
E_Clinical Frailty Scale
Rockwood K. Clinical Frailty Scale©. 2014.
medications in the elderly
Therapeutic Research Center. STARTing and STOPPing Medications in the Elderly. Copyright 2011.
Safer Prescribing in Elderly Patients
Hart M, Giancroce P. Safer Prescribing in Elderly Patients. CGS Journal of CME. 2015: 5(1).
Office management of gait disorders in the elderly
Lam R. Office management of gait disorders in the elderly. Canadian Family Physician. 2011;57(7):765-770.