- Perform a focused history and physical exam to determine the true presence of fever, fever pattern,associated symptoms and signs, and red flags
- Identify causes of fever including serious causes (malignancy, infection, drugs)
- Recognize special groups where fever has different significance or impact (neonates, elderly patients, travel/immigration, under-immunized, immunocompromised).
- Propose a plan for appropriate investigation of possible causes, especially in the pediatric patient.
- Propose a basic management plan for the febrile patient
Fever Clinical Card
Chung AB, Bannister SL, Keegan DA. Fever. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2011. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Approach to the Adult Patient with Fever of Unknown Origin
Hersch E, Oh R. Prolonged Febrile Illness and Fevver of Unknown Origin in Adults. Am Fam Physician. 2014; 90(2): 91-96.