- Apply the Framingham Risk Score to assess various patients
- Identify lipid targets for various patient populations
- Be aware of the existence of different guidelines for the management of hyperlipidemia (Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines vs Simplified Lipid Guidelines) and be able to adapt an approach for management and counselling of hyperlipidemia for individual patient populations
- Create a treatment plan appropriate for a patient’s risk stratification, including non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic approaches
- Describe the major side effects of statin medications
The Canadian Cardiovascular Society's Dyslipidemia Guidelines
Canadian Cardiovascular Society. The Canadian Cardiovascular Society Dyslipidemia Guidelines. Version Number: Lipids-2016-09-P1. 2016.
Simplified Lipid Guidelines
Allan GM, Lindblad AJ, Comeau A, et al. Simplified lipid guidelines: Prevention and management of cardiovascular disease in primary care. Can Fam Physician. 2015;61(10):857-67, e439-50. doi: 61/10/857 [pii].
2016 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines for the Management of Dyslipidemia for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in the Adult
Anderson TJ, Grégoire J, Pearson GJ, et al. 2016 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines for the Management of Dyslipidemia for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in the adult. Can J Cardiol. 2016;32(11):1263-1282. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2016.07.510.