- Discuss key pre-conception considerations in healthy women of childbearing age (e.g. folic acid supplementation, smoking, rubella immunity, etc.).
- Perform an adequate first prenatal visit including taking a history and performing an appropriate focused physical exam with the assistance of available antenatal tracking tools.
- Screen for and identify pregnancies at risk (e.g. domestic violence, multiple gestation, maternal age, substance use, etc.)
- Conduct a basic prenatal visit, including BP measurement, weight, fetal heart rate (starting at 12 weeks), symphysis-fundal height (20 weeks and beyond), screening for concerns and complications.
- Identify potential serious complications in the first trimester and their initial work-up, including ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage.
Preconception Health Care Tool
Centre for Effective Practice in collaboration with the Ontario College of Family Physicians. Preconception Health Care Tool. Centre for Effective Practice. Revised November 2015.
Ontario Perinatal Record
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. 2017 Ontario Perinatal Record. 2017. Available at: http://www.pcmch.on.ca/
Common Prenatal Problems Clinical Card-2011
Bach TV O’Beirne M Keegan DA. Common Prenatal Problems. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2011. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
First Trimester Bleeding
Deutchman M, Tubay AT, Turok D. First trimester bleeding. Am Fam Physician. 2009;79(11):985-994.
Diagnosis and Management of Ectopic Pregnancy
Barash JH, Buchanan EM, Hillson C. Diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Am Fam Physician. 2014;90(1):34-40. doi: d10859 [pii].
Akhtar S, Law M, Mardimae A et al. Antenatal Primary Care: Family and Community Medicine Clerkship Core Curriculum Module. University of Toronto.
Update on Prenatal Care
Zolotor AJ, Carlough MC. Update on prenatal care. Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(3):199-208. doi: d10490 [pii].
Sunnybrook DFCM Prenatal checklist
Domb S. Sunnybrook DFCM Routine Prenatal Checklist. Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. Revised Nov 2018. Dr. N. Gelber, Dr. S. Domb, Dr. M. Shuman.
An Approach to the Postpartum Office Visit.pdf
Blenning CE, Paladine H. An approach to the postpartum office visit. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72(12):2491-2496.
Ressel B, O’Beirne M. HTN in Pregnancy. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2015. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/