- Become familiar with proper terminology to describe common skin conditions
- Recognize skin conditions for which acute intervention is required (e.g. melanoma, severe drug reactions, cellulitis, herpes)
- Identify and propose management plans for the following common skin conditions:
- Viral infections (herpes simplex, herpes zoster, other viral exanthems)
- Fungal infections (tinea, candidiasis)
- Bacterial infections (impetigo, cellulitis)
- Counsel patients about sun safety and ABCDEs of melanoma
Skin Conditions 1 Clinical Card
Devrome AN, Natsheh A, Keegan DA. Skin Conditions 1. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2013. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Skin Conditions 2 Clinical Card
Devrome AN, Natsheh A, Keegan DA. Skin Conditions 2. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2013. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
A Clinician's Guide to Treating Acne
Chehade A, Rao J. A Clinician’s Guide to Treating Acne. STL FP. 2019; 14(1). Available at: https://www.skintherapyletter.com/family-practice/treating-acne-clinicians-guide/
The Generalized Rash Part I - Differential Diagnosis
Ely JW, Seabury Stone M. The generalized rash: Part I. differential diagnosis. Am Fam Physician. 2010;81(6):726-734.
The Generalized Rash Part II - Diagnostic Approach
Ely JW, Seabury Stone M. The generalized rash: Part II. diagnostic approach. Am Fam Physician. 2010;81(6):735-739.
Management of Acne Guidelines
Asai Y, Baibergenova A, Dutil M, et al. Management of acne: Canadian clinical practice guideline. CMAJ. 2016;188(2):118-126. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.140665 [doi].
Sun Protective Behaviors in Populations at High Risk for Skin Cancer
Diao DY, Lee TK. Sun-protective behaviors in populations at high risk for skin cancer. Psychology research and behavior management. 2013;7:9-18. Available at.https://www.dovepress.com
Cutaneous Malignant Melanoma
Shenenberger DW. Cutaneous malignant melanoma: A primary care perspective. Am Fam Physician. 2012;85(2):161-168. doi: d10076 [pii].