Given a patient presenting with a genital concern:
- Perform a patient-centered interview and focused physical exam, list and interpret clinical findings
- Recognize the differences between various genital infections (Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Bacterial Vaginosis, Yeast Vaginitis and Trichomonas) in terms of signs and symptoms, diagnosis and treatment.
- Recognize and differentiate the various causes of genital ulcers and lesions.
- Counsel a patient on STI prevention and screening as appropriate
- Counsel on relevant vaccines for prevention of STIs including organisms covered, indications, cost, side effect and schedules.
Sexual Health History Clinical Card
Leung WPH, Nixon L, Keegan DA. Sexual Health History. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2011. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Sexually Transmitted Infections 2019.pdf
Burles K, Vaughan SD, Keegan DA. Sexually Transmitted Infections. Canadian Family Medicine Clinical Card. 2019. Available at: https://sites.google.com/site/sharcfm/
Sexually Transmitted Infections
Lam M, Law M. Sexually Transmitted Infections One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2011. Available at: http://dfcmopen.com. Attribution CC BY-NC-ND
Callery E, Kiehn L. Vaginitis One-Page Primer. DFCM Open. 2013. Available at: http://dfcmopen.com. Attribution CC BY-NC-ND
Canadian Guidelines on STIs - PHAC
Public Health Agency of Canada. Canadian Guidelines on Sexually Transmitted Infections: Section 2 – Primary Care and Sexually Transmitted Infections: Prevention, Diagnosis and Clinical Management of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the Primary Care Setting. Updated Feb 1, 2013. Available at: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/
Hepatitis B Vaccine - Immunization
Hamilton Public Health Service. Hepatitis B (Hep B) Vaccine. Available at https://www.hamilton.ca/
Update on Recommended HPV vaccine immunization schedule - Advisory Committee Statement
Public Health Agency of Canada. An Advisory Committee Statement (ACS): National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) February 2015: Update on the recommended Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine immunization schedule: Summary Table of Information Contained in this NACI Statement. Updated July 7, 2016. Available at: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/